Youth Ministry Renovation
For many years, Christ Church has enjoyed a vibrant, thriving youth program. We are proud of the legacy passed down to us from generations before, and we continually seek to provide a safe haven for our youth where all are accepted and loved just as they are, where opportunities to grow in Christian faith abound, and where roots grow deep.
Early in 2018, we began a search for a new Director of Youth Ministry. But because we realize that this vital ministry is the work of the whole church, and not just one staff person, we also embarked upon what we call the Youth Ministry Renovation. Over an 18-month period, teams of staff and parishioners are coming together on a regular basis to put systems and people in place to ensure the following:
- All middle and high school youth at Christ Church feel welcome and loved in our Youth Ministry, regardless of where they go to school, who their friends are, or the differences among them.
- All youth have opportunities for fun, fellowship, support, and meaningful Christian formation that appeal to them.
- All youth feel valued by the parish and drawn into the heart of the church – serving in a wide array ministries where they can use their unique gifts and participate in the life of the church as full members.
- All youth have opportunities to be known and supported by clergy, staff and a web of adult volunteers who give of their own time and talent to serve our young people. Inter-generational relationships are one of the greatest gifts we can offer parishioners of all ages.
- Our youth are supported by a team of staff and clergy, not just one person, who work together to create a sustainable ministry that fosters long-term relationships, pastoral care for youth and their families, and excellent programs for fellowship and formation that are inviting and open to all.
We are grateful to our Renovation Team, an advisory board of parishioners, staff, and clergy, who are guiding this process:
- Michaele Harried
- Gretchen Peverley
- Andy Scott
- John Willim
- Karina Aragon Buchanan, Interim Assistant Director of Youth Ministry
- Catherine Montgomery, Director of Children’s Formation and Family Ministries
- The Rev. Remington Slone, Interim Senior Associate Rector
New Youth Director
After a nationwide search, Christ Church is thrilled to announce that we have called Brooks Slater to join our team as Director of Youth Ministry.
Brooks was born and raised in Ponte Vedra and has always considered Christ Church to be his church home. A graduate of Florida State University with a degree in Religious Studies, Brooks has directed youth ministries at Episcopal parishes in Tallahassee and Jacksonville Beach, and has been an active leader at Camp Weed. He enjoys spending time with family and friends, reading, and being outdoors.
Brooks will join Karina Aragon Buchanan, Assistant Director of Youth Ministry, in service to our youth and their families.
Christ Church is grateful to our search committee for their dedication during this process: Matt Davis, Mindy Lytle, John Stephens, Wendy Waller, Charlotte Alford, and Teddy Lancaster.
Please join us in extending a warm welcome to Brooks!
Youth Ministry Transition Team
In order to provide excellent activities for our youth and develop a community of adult parishioners who will walk alongside them, these committed parishioners are working with our staff and giving generously of their time and talent to coordinate our programs.
- Wendy Waller, Christian Formation
- Jennifer Walker, Low Tide (middle school youth group)
- Tara Johnson, High Tide (high school youth group)
- Karyn and Kevin Carroll, Special Events
If you have questions about our Youth Ministry Renovation, or would like to know how you can be involved, please reach out to:
Director of Family Ministries
904-285-7390 ext 227